Saturday, June 8, 2019

D is for Different


Just like no two cows having the same pattern of spots, no two cows have the same personality. Sara spends most evenings being the one to walk through our herd and check on things before heading in for the night.  I turned the keyboard over to her to say a few words about some of our ladies.


Lottie
If Lottie were a person, she would be the middle aged woman that goes to yoga 4-5 times a week.  She has been on our farm for eleven years but is in tip top shape.  Like most women who do a lot of yoga, she is also super zen.  Then again I'm generalizing because I don't know anyone that consistently goes to yoga, but I digress.  She is always chewing her cud and slowly sauntering from barn to barn just enjoying each and every moment of her day.  She always gets a special greeting from my dad when she comes in for milking, "Here's Lottie, calmest cow in the herd.  Always chewin' her cud, always happy."


Nellie
Nellie...oh boy...I think in a former life she was a house pet.  She follows me around like a puppy wherever I go.  Most nights she won't do anything if she doesn't get some one-on-one time where I can rub under her chin and behind her ears.  I might think she's had enough, but Nellie decides when she has truly had enough.  If you haven't looked at the My Barnyard View Facebook page, then you are missing out on some great videos and photos of Nellie being Nellie.


Georgia
She is one of the most reliable cows you'll ever meet.  She stands in the same places at the same times everyday.  Mike is responsible for her name after a random remark he made while brushing her when she was younger. His comment, "Girl, your fur is as dark as that Midnight Train to Georgia."  All you Gladys Knight fans out there will get that reference.  She's also discovered that she is my height.  She loves to stand by me during milking because she has realized she can scratch that hard-to-reach spot on her back, on my shoulder.  She also likes hugs where she rests her head on my shoulder and I wrap my arms around her neck in a hug.  It's like I get to tuck her in for bed each night after milking.


Hildegard or Hildie
Yep, Hildegard, you read that right.  Grandma Karen confessed one night that Hildegard was a name she always liked for a little baby girl.  It was finally used for one of Grandma's favorite calves five years ago.  Hildie is a super shy cow.  She is really friendly, but she does like her alone time and likes things quiet.  She isn't one to rush to the food line or shove to get to the water first.  She just hangs back and waits because she knows there will always be enough.  We also know when almost all the cows have been milked because each night she comes in when there are 18-22 cows left to be milked.  We don't know how she does it, but we appreciate the progress update.  We realized she did this about a year ago and tracked it for a few weeks and man is she reliable.

There are over 100 ladies I could sit and tell you stories about, and each of those stories would be totally different from the last.  That's what makes working with cows so special.  Each cow has their own story to tell and you just have to be willing to listen.      ~Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment