Tuesday, December 4, 2018

A Speech, A Senate Resolution, and A Visit From A Senator

I was recently asked to be the keynote speaker at our county Farm Bureau banquet. Why me, I wondered. I thought sure it was because my in-laws were on the planning committee, but when I was being introduced, I was assured that was not the case.


I shared about my six generation farm family. I also shared what I do to promote agriculture via presentations, writings, and farm tours. Next I spoke about my love for spreading the dairy farming message through this blog, sharing my favorite posts. However, my goal was not to call attention to what I do, but to hopefully give examples and therefore encourage others to advocate for agriculture. 


I also got an unexpected surprise as I was awarded a Senate Resolution presented by Minnesota State Senator Karla Bigham recognizing my award as America's Farmers Mom of the Year. I appreciate that our government officials acknowledge the importance of agriculture and also its recognition programs in support of farmers.


Minnesota ranks 5th in agriculture production. The Minnesota agriculture industry provides 340,000 jobs, and contributes $75 billion to our states economy annually, and that's no "small potatoes".


State Senator Bigham wanted to see our farm in action, so a recent tour was scheduled.

Daughter Sara, Janet, John, and Karla Bigham


Farmer John discusses concerns affecting farmers, and also township business since he is our Township Planning Commission chairman.


Daughter Sara explains the milking system.


Senator Bigham made another friend.


Thank you Senator Bigham for taking the time to learn more about dairy farming, and also listen to our concerns, and answer our questions.

I encourage all of you to reach out to your elected officials to have a conversation. The conversation needs to begin if we want to see changes and improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment