Monday, June 18, 2018

June Dairy Month Trifecta at the Library

Lucky me. Today I hit the trifecta.
This morning I read to 93 kids and parents at Pleasant Hill Library in Hastings, Minnesota.
What's the trifecta? Reading, teaching, and cows; it's a win-win-win!
Happy June Dairy Month!


Today I began by reading The Cows Are in the Corn by James Young. This story tells how a family works together to take care of making sure all the farm animals are where they should be. I then shared about my family- what we do on our farm, and also about our jobs off the farm.


Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?  written by Dr. Seuss gives me the opportunity to share what kind of animals we have on our dairy farm (it's cows and cats). I showed what cows and calves eat. We also talked about where our cows live. The kids enjoyed counting by 10's so they could discover we have 130 cows that we milk twice each day.


The Flea's Sneeze by Karla Firehammer is a perfect introduction to how we work to keep our animals healthy and comfortable. Healthy and happy cows give lots of milk. I showed the steps we go through to keep them healthy so our cows milk can get to their grocery store in just 48 hours!


The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson is the perfect book to read so I can talk about delicious milk and all the other great dairy foods! These smart kids could tell me lots of yummy foods they like that are made from milk.


Of course everyone (moms and dads too) left the library with a goodie bag and a cow hat. Thanks to the Dakota County Library for inviting me to talk about my cows during June Dairy Month. See you all next June for another trifecta!

No comments:

Post a Comment