Tuesday, June 24, 2014

S Is For Stories

It's June dairy Month! The barn doors are open, 
so join me on my daily A to Z journey 
to learn more about dairy. 
  Today S Is For Stories
 

In celebration of June Dairy Month, our local public library invited me to read my favorite cow books during Preschool Story Time. Wednesday morning 51 preschoolers, some big brothers and sisters, oodles of mommies, and even a few grandpas came to hear my cow tails tales.


Now, what to read? I am a collector of cow and farm themed books. It took much effort to narrow down the ones that I talked about. After a brief overview of my favorites, I began by reading Out and About at the Dairy Farm.
I like this book as it takes us along with a group of school kids who go on a field trip to a dairy farm.
 

 
After learning how milk goes from the farm to the grocery store, we learned that we need three servings of dairy every day to stay healthy. This seemed like a moo-velous time to talk about what can be made from all that milk. We played a game trying to name all the dairy foods we could think of. And nope, potatoes are not a dairy food. Neither is noodles, in case you weren't sure. 
 
 
After sharing what our cows do, eat, and how they are milked, it was time to read Dooby Dooby Moo! I LOVE this book! Have you read it? It's an udderly goofy book about the animals on Farmer Brown's farm who think they should enter the talent contest at the County Fair to win the grand prize. Can you guess what the prize is? BOING! BOING!
  

 
 
Look who I invited to join us. It's Gabriella, Dakota County Dairy Princess,
with mommies Melissa and Michelle and their sons! Gabriella helped me hand out goodie bags to the kids, and treat bags to the mom's and the grandpa's too! Everyone left the library with a cheese stick to munch on the way home. Three servings of dairy every day...1 down, 2 to go!
 
 
 Check out some of my other visits with wee ones-
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment