Thursday, September 19, 2013

This And That Thursday- 1


A new baby is born! Yes, my blog is hatching a new feature. "This And That Thursday" will become a weekly feature where I will update you on what's happening on the farm, in our lives, with our dairy promotion, you know, life in general. This gives me an opportunity to share what we have been doing, but sometimes our tidbits don't require an entire blog post to fill you in. Thus, "This And That Thursday" is born!

Remember back in August when I launched My Very First Giveaway? I later announced Randy K. W. as the winner. Randy was nice enough to snap this photo at the Dairy Goodness Bar, at the Minnesota State Fair, where he presented his coupons for the 4 free malts he won. I bet he didn't mind receiving the 4 admission tickets to the Fair either. 
It is obvious how far the irrigation water reached at the corner of this field.
This week I was again contacted by WCCO Radio, our local CBS affiliate, about the effect the drought is having on farm crops, as we near harvest. I explained that we are in the moderate drought (some crop damage) area, but farmers just 50 miles north of us are seeing severe drought (crop loss likely) conditions. We at Bremer Farms are blessed to have mostly irrigated land, but Mother Nature's FREE water is even more of a blessing. I also shared how soybean farmers are affected by the drought since dry weather restricts the soybean pod from filling to the fullest. Our dry fall may also affect how much fall tillage (preparing the soil for spring planting) we are able to do.

We are baling our third crop hay. Farmer John has been baling round bales to feed our dairy cows and steers. You can read more about baling at Hey Hay, Looky Here!


And two baby girls joined the herd! Meet Annabelle. She stole my heart. Shhh...don't tell the others.
Learn more about dairy at Dairy Makes Sense

No comments:

Post a Comment