Sunday, June 16, 2013

M Is For Milk

I'm taking you on a journey from A to Z through the land of dairy! 
There's no need to pack your bags, just come along! 
 M Is For Milk

I like milk; always have and always will. Thanks to mom and dad, milk was always the beverage served at meals. I remember as a kid, my mom would buy chocolate or strawberry flavored powder that we could mix into our white milk. Now days kids have it easy (insert winking smiley face here). Flavored milk can be easily purchased at the grocery store. Data shows that school kids choose flavored milk 70% of the time. 
But what about the sugar? Flavored milk contributes just 3% of added sugar to kids' diets. Sodas and fruit drinks account for close to half of the added sugar and deliver much less nutrition in the process. Children who drink flavored milk meet more of their nutrient needs and consume less added sugar than non-milk drinkers. 

My thoughts...the small amount of added sugars in flavored milk is an acceptable trade-off for the nutrients milk provides. Whether your milk is white or flavored, drink up. I guess my mom and dad did know what they were doing (insert winking smiley face here)!

 
  Learn more about dairy at Dairy Makes Sense
 

I am making a commitment to share as much as I can with you each day this month, about the life of our dairy farm family including what we do, how we share our passion for dairy, and dairy foods we enjoy.

 See you here tomorrow...N Is For Nine.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for the brown cows that give us chocolate milk(insert winking smiley face here)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SpoolHouse- Is it time to have that talk again that all milk is white? Chocolate milk comes from the flavoring that is added later(insert broad smile here).

    ReplyDelete