Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Thank A Teacher

My favorite thing to do as a child was to play school.  I spent hours setting up my classroom, making cardboard box "desks" for my dolls, hand-writing worksheets, making a check-out system for my library books. Yep, I couldn't get enough of school. It seemed only natural then, when considering my future career after high school, that elementary teacher was the first thought to pop into my head. That thought was quickly pushed out however, by a school counselor that said I had to think practically and the prospect of everyone getting a teaching job was unlikely at that time. 

So after college, a career as an interior designer, and ten years as a happy stay-at-home mom, I began my next career. No, I'm not a licensed teacher, but I am an educator. I'm finishing my fifteenth year as a Title 1 Instructional Assistant at a local elementary school, teaching kiddos that need a little extra help with reading and math. This being Teacher Appreciation Day, it seemed like the perfect time to share with you, a recent event that was held at our school.

Students and parents were treated to an evening of art and reading.

The gym became "Camp Read-A-Lot" with stars above, campfires, and tents filled with reading by lantern light while stretched out on camp chairs or sleeping bags.


The halls became an art gallery, while the cafeteria was filled with creation stations for making bookmarks and adding to a mural.


At the end of their night under the stars, each student went home with a book to keep and a snack bag of treats that said "Read S'more."

I appreciate the creativity and extra effort that teachers put in to make our school so exciting and fun for the students. Every day I witness teachers making each child a priority. For everything they do and for what they help our kiddos achieve each day (and night), I say "ThankYou!" 

Don't forget to thank a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment