Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It's About Time- Tater Tot Hotdish

Other than my college stint in Iowa, I have lived in Minnesota all my life. For some reason Minnesotans are associated with hotdish, or to those of you non-Minnesotans...casseroles. According to Wikipedia hotdish is served at family gatherings and church dinners. 
This past weekend I decided it was about time. We were invited to a 4th of July potluck picnic at the Pemble's and I had never made Tater Tot Hotdish before. It's about time! I mean from what I hear, it is supposed to be THE Minnesota hotdish! See what you think...

Tater Tot Hotdish

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned, seasoned & drained
2-3 c of canned (drained) or frozen vegetable of choice: green beans, corn, peas or mixed vegetables (optional)
3 lb frozen tater tots
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 c milk
8-12 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
 
Directions 
1. Spread browned meat in a greased 9x13 pan.
2. Add a layer of vegetables. 
3. Cover with tater tots.
4. Combine the soups and milk, and pour over tots.
5. Bake for 45 minutes at 350'. Add the cheese & bake for 10-15 more minutes. 
 
It's a simple, tasty meal, and that's the way this farm mom likes to cook! 
What's your simple, quick, go-to meal?


 

2 comments: