Saturday, February 12, 2022

It's Almost Valentine's Day!

 Valentine's Day is fast approaching. Are you excited? If you are like me, you are probably not as excited as when you were a child. Don't get me wrong. I still feel loved every Valentine's Day (and every day for that matter) by Farmer John, but there was just something unexplainably exciting about school valentines parties.

Perhaps it was making the valentines "mailbox" to collect my classmates valentines. Mom would save an empty cereal box, or if I was lucky and recently got new shoes, I saved the shoebox for that special mailbox. It was covered with red paper (my favorite color) and sometimes mom would splurge and buy those paper doiles to adorn the box. 

Or perhaps the excitement came from writing out the valentines. Typically I cut out red or pink hearts and signed them with a message. Nothing too mushy, of course. As I grew older, we bought valentines! Wow, the decision was difficult for which fun design to choose.

Or did the excitement grow when the class was told by the teacher that the afternoon would be spent celebrating with treats, games, and opening those special valentine mailboxes to see what was inside?

How about you? Maybe the excitement came from seeing who you received valentines from. Did you get one from each person in the class? Even the cute boy or girl that everyone had a crush on? Did your valentine come with a box of those chalky conversation hearts that we didn't really like, but they were so fun to receive.

Regardless of how you celebrate this Valentine's Day, whether it be a special day with those you love, or reminiscing about Valentine's Days gone by, I wish you much happiness and love.




No comments:

Post a Comment