Thursday, June 27, 2019

R is for Recipe

It started out like most days. Toss a load of laundry in the washing machine. Set the table for breakfast. Get dressed and ready for the day. 

I like schedules. I like goals. I like to look at my Google calendar each evening to plan the following day. Every day I wake up with that plan in my head, but life on the farm can be unpredictable. What's that saying? The best laid plans...

John came in for breakfast. I'm going to need a ride to Vermillion (neighboring town). The tractor is fixed and ready to be brought home. Sounds easy. Let me know when, I said. 

Shortly before lunch- "Hey, can you run to Hastings (just a few miles the other direction). I'm going to need some bolts to fix that gate." Sure, I'm on it.

As we sit down to lunch- "Can you rake hay this afternoon? It shouldn't take too long." Hmmm...not too long? You mean all afternoon, don't you?

We often get asked, "What is a typical day on the farm?" You just read about it. It's full of surprises and interruptions. Never a dull moment!

I think you now know why I am a fan of slow-cookers. I can get a meal ready right away in the morning before the unpredictable chaos sets in.


I first made these Creamy Hash Browns for our Easter dinner and we weren't disappointed!

2 pounds frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
2 cups shredded American or cheddar cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place potatoes in an ungreased 5 quart slow cooker. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients, Pour over potatoes, and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender and heated through. Makes 14 servings. 

Ready to go!
Thanks to Taste of Home 2001 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment