Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Two Little Steps and What They Taught Me

August 22, 2017 - Two days before the beginning of the Minnesota State Fair. Two days before I begin my 12 days of chaperoning Princess Kay of the Milky Way and her court. This is what happens when you don't see two little steps in a dimly lit room. 


Thanks to my daughter Sara and the great staff of Midwest Dairy I was able to rest up at home the first four days and then return via a motorized scooter for the remainder of the fair. But I'm getting ahead of the story...

August 24- Two days after falling- can't get a shoe on my swollen foot- trip to ER- Dr. says "two broken bones- here's some crutches- can put some weight on it- don't think you will need surgery but call surgeon after the Fair."

September 8- I'm in surgery- staple permanently implanted in my foot- no weight on foot for 2 weeks- can't walk up steps- bedroom on second floor- sleeping in a recliner is not ideal- eating in a recliner is awkward.

September 21- Transitioned from surgery wrap to a cast- red is my favorite color- no weight for 2 more weeks- getting tired of sitting- nothing good on TV- my family is amazing help- thinking of my Mom and Dad a lot as they were not mobile for the last several years of their lives- reality check- stop complaining and be thankful.

October 5- Transitioned from cast to walking boot- no weight for 1 week- progress?- still sitting- sorted magazines- read two books- made two Christmas stockings- isn't being waited on supposed to be a luxury?- feeling helpless but thankful.

October 12- I can stand- walking boot for two more weeks- can walk to the bathroom alone (that's a big deal!- excited to do laundry and dishes- never thought I would say that.

October 26- Can start transitioning from walking boot to shoe with an ankle brace- what shoe is going to fit this swollen foot and brace?- swelling could last 4 months or longer- sigh... slow and steady wins the race.


Thank goodness for stretchy tennis shoes! They fit over a brace and a swollen foot. I can even climb steps, all the way to the seat in the combine so I can combine corn! Ahh...life is good! 







No comments:

Post a Comment