Saturday, April 27, 2013

Prepare To Be Dazzled

When I give school presentations or I'm asked to speak at meetings about dairy farming, I like to "dazzle" my audience with a bit of somewhat useless dairy trivia. Prepare to be "dazzled"...

  • Dairy cows can produce 125 pounds of saliva a day
  • People first domesticated cows about 5000 years ago.
  • A cow stands up and sits down about 14 times a day.
  • Cows can detect odors up to six miles away.
  • Cows can see color.
  • There are approximately 350 "squirts" in a gallon of milk.
  • Cows can pick and lick their noses with their tongues.
  • When the Pilgrims went to America, they took cows with them.

    Just like people, cows have an interesting story. As a Dairy Farmer, I believe one of my responsibilities is to share that story; the story of how we are committed to caring for our animals, respectfully preserving our land, and taking pride in what we do each and every day. 

    So who says we can't have a little "dazzle" along the way?

    To learn more about the story of Dairy Farming visit Dairy Farming Today.











No comments:

Post a Comment