Monday, May 20, 2013

A Crazy Coincidence


Today is National Quiche Lorraine Day. Today is also my mom's birthday, and here is where the crazy coincidence comes in...my mom's name is Lorraine! I know, crazy, right? The origin of Quiche Lorraine is in the rural Lorraine Region of France, which is where my Great Grandmother was born. Oh my gosh, the coincidences just keep coming! In honor of my mom's birthday (and National Quiche Lorraine Day) I thought I would share my Quiche Lorraine recipe. This recipe is from My recipes.com. I love that this delicious egg dish is filled with the dairy goodness of whipping cream and Swiss cheese. 
 
Quiche Lorraine

Ingredients

  • 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
  • 8 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
  • 6 large eggs 
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preparation

  1. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
  2. Bake at 400° for 7 minutes; remove from oven.
  3. Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels, and crumble. Sprinkle bacon, green onions, and 1 cup cheese into prepared crust.
  4. Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into crust, and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and nutmeg.
  5. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes.

 
Happy birthday, mom! Love you!

2 comments:

  1. What! No mention of MY birthday????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another coincidence...Happy birthday to my sister, too! If your name was Lorraine, I would have mentioned you in my blog post too! Love you!

      Delete