Sunday, April 9, 2017

Flavor Of The Fair

Who doesn't love ice cream? No one I know!
But ice cream with hot sauce, or dill pickles?
That's right, folks. These fun combinations were all ingredients in this years nominations for the #FlavorOfTheFair at the Dairy Goodness Bar at the Minnesota State Fair.


For the third year in a row, you can pick the Flavor Of The Fair, a special malt or sundae flavor available for only one year, and you get to help choose the flavor. Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.
This past Friday I was invited to be an official "unofficial" taste tester as Midwest Dairy unveiled the three choices for this years fair. It was all captured on Facebook Live. 


The three choices, created from suggestions collected at the 2016 MN State Fair, are all unusual, creative and fun. We first sampled "Pie 'n the Sky" a delicious combination of our secret recipe vanilla ice cream, lemon curd, dark chocolate drizzle, and topped off with those crunchy little cookies you get when you ride on an airplane. Hence the name 'n the sky. Get it?


 Next we moved on to "Nacho Average Malt" and it sure wasn't! Imagine vanilla ice cream, tortilla chips, shredded Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle on a bit of hot sauce! Now I admit I am not a hot sauce fan, but since I was an official "unofficial" taste tester, I dug right in. The first bite was tricky since I didn't stir the ingredients together. Wowzer, that first bite was HOT! But it was surprisingly good when stirred together!


Finally, it was "Vanilly Dilly." Now, when a cup of vanilla ice cream, dill pickle potato chips, and a pickle slice was set before us, I had flashbacks to my pregnancy days. But since my mouth waters whenever I even think of pickles, I knew I wanted to give this one a try, and boy, I'm glad I did! My only comment...it needs more pickles!

It was now time for each of us to cast our vote.


Yep, "Vanilly Dilly" got my vote. 
Now it's your turn. Head on over to cast your vote by April 17. Who knows? You may be enjoying your pick at the 2017 Minnesota State Fair. Only 136 days until the start of the Fair!

I have shared the entire taste test on My Barnyard View's Facebook page. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment